FPS terminology and definitons
|Home| |In Game Options and Settings| |The reticle and ADS| |In Game Basic Tatics| |Contact Us| | General Weapons in FPS's| | Basic map tricks|
This list below is common terminology you might hear mostly in multiplayer FPS's. Please read the list below to educate yourself to some of the words.
| A| B| C| D| E| F| G| H| I| J| K| L| M| N| O| P| Q| R| S| T| U| V| W| X| Y| Z|
- Aim bot - A program that is not allowed in any FPS's that automaticly snaps onto any enemy. Depending on the software and options the player can choose to automaticly snap onto the head or the body.
- A.F.K. or AFK - AFK is abbreviated to stand for 'away from keyboard' this does not olny apply to pc players, this term can be used for console players as well.
- A.O.E or AOE - AOE is abbreviated to stand for Area Of Effect. AOE acts as a radius of a action usually damage, surrounding a select area.
- Ban - a ban is when someone has been caught doing something within the game that is not tolerated and they can no longer play the game either on that account (account ban) or on that system or IP (console ban/IP ban). Depending on the developers, they can do bans in waves, rather than on the spot. This is generally called 'swinging the banhammer'
- Boosting - a frowned upon and possibly rule breaking tatic that a player has a friend on the enemy team that he can farm off of in order to get specific unlocks or medals eaiser and faster.
- Boss - 1. A vastly tougher enemy that could have specific ways of defeating him such as: using a specific item to activacte the bosses vulnerability stance. this is generally used for single player FPS's
2. a player that has prefromed great or is generally considered very good at the game.
- Buff - an intended improvement made by the developers of the game to help improve a object within the game to be used more commonly or to put it on level ground against other objects.
- Bug - A error within the game that is not inetional that could cause certain objects to have advantages or disadvantes in using or interacting with said item.
- Camping - The act of staying in a single position(such as staying in a good, high position with a sniper) and wait for any enemy to show up and attack that said enemy.
- Carry - The act of one or more people (not including all of the group) that can win a game for the team with little to no extra help from their team.
- Choke - 1. a specific area that is rather narrow and is the usual way that people enter through. 2. when a player (usualy spontaniously preforming exceptionaly) makes a error that shuts down their optimal preformance.
- Chat - A extra application that allows you to communicate with your team and/or the enemy team. Usually only your team due to the possible advantage against the enemy.
- Clans - A group that has is joined together in order to have new friends or comarads to play with. Some games also include clan tags so they can represent in each game.
- CQC - short for close quarter combat. Usually not using any range weapons. (such as a burst or a sniper rifle.)
- Crit or Critical Hit - a certain area of the enemy's body that will register with extra damage.
- CTF - a type of game that requires your enemy team to capture the enemy's flag and return it to base.
- D-Pad Directional Pad - the Directional Pad or D-pad for short, is a 4(basic) or 8 (advanced) directional pad (usualy looks like '+') that allows for an extra access for liner controlls or can be used as diffrent button configurations.
- Damage - the numerical amount of health is lost. Can be used to determine DPS on weapons.
- DPS - the amount of damage that a weapon or object can do within one second. Generally the higher the dps the faster you can eliminate enemies.
- Downtime (server) - when the online provider shuts down thier servers in order to update their game or put in a patch
Emote - A series of actions that a players character's body moves, dances, or taunts to show off. This can be teated as an insult to other players and can be as bad as a T-bag
ESRB - The Entertainment Software Rating Board (or ESRB for short,) is a organization that rates video games. The way that they rate games is with letters: EC (early childhood), E (everyone), E10+ (everyone that is 10 or older), T (teenagers), M (Mature 17 or older), and AO (Adults only 18+).
Expansion (pack) - A extra part of a game made by developers to bring extra maps, weapons, characters,etc. within the game. Usually does cost real life currency.
Experience (EXP,XP) - Experience or for short XP, is a system of gaining value from each game. If you gain enough XP you usually level up and get some type of bounus, weather it be a lootbox or stat increases
Free For All (FFA) - Free for all or FFA for short is a common game mode where everyone is on their own team. The goal of the game mode is to ethier reach a certain amount of kills or the time limit expires.
First blood - An alternate way of saying the first kill of the match.
Frag - a shorter way of saying eliminating an enemy. This can also be short for a fragmentation grenade, or a normal grenade.
FPS - FPS Can stand for 2 things: First Person Shooter, and Frames Per Second. Frames Per Second is the amount of 'images' that are being shown on the screen in one second. For example if someone said that his game was running at 40 FPS, that means he is seeing 40 individual frames per second. Generaly the more frames generaly mean a more accurate and clear experience.
- Gamertag (GT) - Gamertag, or GT for short is a term to describe an online player's account name that can have both letters and numbers within.
- Gank - gank is used to decribe a unfair attack against an enemy, generally by parts of the team to the entire team grouping up together to attack one person.
- GG - Short for saying Good Game.
- greifer - a greifer is a person who purposely attempts to make the game experiance as bad as possible. Most FPS do not accept that kind of behavoir and can be /banned/ for such behavior.
- Hardscope - A term for sniper rifles that you constantly look down the sights of the sniper rifle to get kills. For some it is considered 'wrong' due to the popular alternitive quickscoping.
- Healing objects - healing objects are objects in game (if availible) that restore any lost health. other terms for Healing objects are Med-kits, or Health packs.
- HUD - HUD or Heads Up Display for short is a series of hints generally around the edges of the screen giving you infomation within the game. Such as, Ammo, Health, Mini map, etc.
- HP - Hit Points or HP for short, is the amount of hit points you have before your are considered 'dead' and have to either wait for a respawn, or if the game has the mechanic, wait to be revived to continue fighting.
- KDR - KDR stands for Kill Death Ratio. It is a stat to show your skill against other players. The more kills you have verses the deaths the better you are.
- Kill Streak - A kill streak is killing multiple enemies without dying. Most FPS will give you some form of aknowledgment such as medals per amount of kills.
- Lag - an issue between an online game sending the information on what you are or have done not being sent as fast as it needs to, so the game starts to 'skip' at some points it can get so bad that you could shoot someone and it won't register, some people use this to their advantace and use lag switches to have advantages against people by telporting on the other person's screen and ingnoring most damage done to them.
- Leaderboard - A leaderboard is a list of people who are considered the best by the session, region, country and even world.
- Meele - A situation where you and the enemy are right in each others face; meele range.
- Meta - slang to describe certain object(s) in a game to be considered the most powerful set to use compared to the other choices, and is used way more compared to the other choices.
- Microtransaction - a trade of real world money for either cosmetics or advantages in game, such as new weapons, characters, boosters etc.
- Mini Map - a small map, usually in the corner of the screen, that can show you the general area and possibly show enemies that are shooting within the map.
- Mob - A large amount of enemies. Mostly ment for AI controlled enemies.
- Multiplayer - a type of mode that allowes player to play with or agianst each other around the world.
- Nerf - A term that explains a new patch or hotfix on a specific object that decreases it usefulness, nerfing is generally used to balance out a game if there is a specific weapon or other object is either to be considered OP or is being overused compared to other objects.
- NPC - Short for Non-Player Character, these NPC's are controlled by AI.
- Noob - Noob, Newb, or n00b is short for newbie or someone who is new, or inexperianced to the game.
- OP - OP is short for over powered. Over powered, or OP is used to describe a really usefull or powerful, weapon, item, or other item(s) that is generally used and may be considered the Meta .
- Respawn - Whenever you or someone has been defeted, they usually have to wait a moment to be brought back into the game in a set location, usualy away from enemies.
- Rekt - Rekt is short for being dominated in a game.
- Scrub - an insult to call either new or inexperienced players.
- Smurf - a new account that belongs to a highly experienced person so that they can start at the bottom again with all of their skills.
- Tank - a specific character that their role is to take as much damage away as possible from allies.
- TDM - TDM is short for Team Death Match where the goal is to gain a certain amount of kills before the enemy.
- Team Speak - usually a channel in the game that allows you to speak to your allies.
- Trolls - People that usually want to get a reatcion of people online, usually in a negitive way such as: not doing their part, helping the enemy team, or just insulting the team.
back to top
- XP - XP, and EXP is short for Experience Points. It keeps track of all of the progress gained on specific things, most games will reward you if you get enough XP to gain a rank or level.